Every woman should embrace her own style and we encourage you to be you! However years of research by fashion designers and stylists have concluded that petite women (those of us who are 5'4 or shorter in height), look our best when we follow the simple rules below.
We have compiled the essential style tips for petite women as follows:
1. Wear dresses in one colour where possible. It's advised that we petites match our separates (tops, trousers and skirts) to form single colour outfits and avoid colour blocking which will shorten our frame; but our lives would be too dull and it's nice to have a pop of colour sometimes. So embrace being short on the days when you wish to wear a bright coloured blouse with your jeans or trousers, alternatively wear heels and avoid flats with those outfits.
2. Avoid large, busy printed fabrics - only buy clothing with small, delicate prints and stick to solid colours to avoid swamping your frame.
3. Make sure your wardrobe contains investment pieces in dark colours - black, navy, charcoal, burgundy trousers and dresses. Not only do they make you look slimmer, they will mix and match with other items in your wardrobe and last you years.
4. Select clothes with vertical lines. Wear V-shape or U -shaped necklines in tops, dresses and shirts to elongate your figure.
5. Wear fitted garments - this doesn't mean tight, just tailored, form-fitting, as baggy tops and dresses will make you look heavier and shorter.
6. Keep belts slim and match them to your outfit. Wide or contrasting coloured belts will cut your figure in half and break up the vertical illusion of height.
7. Keep handbags small so they are in proportion to your body frame. Oversized bags may be the trend but they will swamp shorter women and will look unflattering.
8. Wear jeans and pants with a straight cut rather than wide or boot-cut trousers.
9. Avoid miniskirts and mini dresses as believe it or not, the hem falls across the thick part of your thigh and makes it more noticeable, making a petite woman's legs look even shorter. A hem line 2-3 inches above the knee is generally accepted as most flattering.
Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletters to get updates on everything petite!